Friday, November 2, 2007

Defining Design

Recently I found a great blog post on the subject of design. When we hear the word "design", what does it mean? Frank Spillers tells us in his post titled What is Design? (Yes, all 10 definitions!) at his blog, Demystifying Usability.

I hope Frank doesn't mind, but I commented and offered another definition of design (bringing the list to 11) that I think fits well within the framework of usability. How about instructional design?

When it comes to products, whenever we are able to support the transfer of knowledge in a logical, objective fashion or make it easier for people to learn how to operate products and apply them to their work, we increase the level of satisfaction surrounding the user experience. I know that usable products are supposed to be intuative and easy to learn in and of themselves, but there is always a need to support learning.

Just another definition of design to add to the list and I'm sure there are more to come.

No comments: